DER develops, implements, and coordinates cross-cutting, multidisciplinary research activities within NICHD's mission. The research portfolio is quite broad, including biological, behavioral, and clinical research related to conception and pregnancy, normal and abnormal development in childhood, reproductive health, and population dynamics across the lifespan. While NICHD's Division of Intramural Research conducts laboratory and clinical research programs at NIH, DER coordinates and funds research and training programs across the United States and many other countries through grants and contracts.
DER advises the NICHD Director on extramural research and training policies and activities. It also provides scientific peer review, grants management, and program management and oversight for roughly 3,500 competing grant applications and over 450 new and competing awards each year. With a focus on scientific priorities and research integrity, DER leads implementation of extramural policies and procedures for NICHD.
News Release: NIH announces winners of data challenge to identify risk factors for first-time pregnancies. Awarded projects of the Decoding Maternal Morbidity Data Challenge seek to reduce pregnancy complications and prevent maternal deaths.
Safe Return to School For All summarizes current evidence and best practices to help administrators, educators, and families and students—including students with disabilities—return to school safely in the context of COVID-19. The information provided is based on collaborative research from the NICHD-funded Washington University Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Research Center, the University of Missouri-Kansas City Institute of Human Development, and the Kennedy Krieger Institute (Maryland), in collaboration with the Special School District of St. Louis County, Missouri.
- Active Funding Opportunity Announcements
- PAR-19-134: Research Enhancement Award Program (REAP) for Health Professional Schools and Graduate Schools (R15 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- PAR-19-135: Research Enhancement Award Program (REAP) for Health Professional Schools and Graduate Schools (R15 Clinical Trial Required)
- PAR-21-154: Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA) for Undergraduate-Focused Institutions (R15 Clinical Trial Required)
- PAR-21-155: Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA) for Undergraduate-Focused Institutions (R15 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)