Support for Training at Universities & Other Institutions

NICHD uses several mechanisms to fund training and career development activities at universities and other institutions. This type of support is called "extramural" training.

The institute conducted an in-depth review of its extramural training programs and mechanisms in 2016; read the full review (PDF - 1.8 MB).

Mechanisms for Extramural Training and Career Development

Individual Research Fellowships (F): NICHD supports fellowships under the National Research Service Award program for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.

  • Individual Predoctoral Fellowships to Provide Diversity (F31)
  • Individual Postdoctoral Fellowships (F32)

Career Development (K) Awards: NICHD sponsors awards for various levels of career development.

  • Mentored Career Development Awards (K01, K08, K23, K25, K99)
  • Please note that NICHD no longer participates in Career Development Awards for Independent Investigators (K02, K24).

Institutional Training Grants (T32/K12): These awards are made to institutions to support groups of pre- and/or postdoctoral fellows, including trainees in basic, clinical, and behavioral sciences.

  • Institutional Training Grants (T32)
  • Institutional Career Development Programs (K12)

Education Grants (R25): NICHD sponsors education grants for summer research experiences and short courses.

  • Summer Education Grants (R25)
  • NICHD Research Education Programs (R25)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Extramural Training

Find answers to FAQs about support for training and career development at your institution. FAQ categories include policies, application procedures, and management of funded awards.

Other questions?

NICHD's Office of Extramural Policy (OEP) provides overall leadership and guidance on training programs for students, postdoctoral fellows, and early-stage faculty. OEP advises on policies and procedures affecting NICHD extramural activities and on funding strategies, programs and initiatives, personnel, and other matters pertaining to NICHD support. ​

For questions about extramural fellowships, career development awards, or institutional training programs that are not addressed in the FAQs, contact Dennis A. Twombly, Ph.D., Deputy Director of OEP.

top of pageBACK TO TOP