As a federal agency, NICHD submits a justification to Congress for its overall budget each fiscal year. The congressional budget justification includes information, such as science advances, stories of discovery, and initiatives, that explains NICHD goals, programs, and necessary funding levels.
- Laws Governing NICHD Activities: Provisions in U.S. laws that pertain to NICHD and its activities
- Research, Condition, and Disease Categorization: Trans-NIH funding for disease categories
- Current Fiscal Year Congressional Justification Narratives, from the NIH Office of Budget
- Significant Items and Responses
Each year, Congress issues directives to federal agencies, including NIH, in the reports accompanying House and Senate appropriations bills. These directives are assigned for response to NIH institutes, according to their areas of expertise; some topics may be relevant to several institutes’ research portfolios. The responses are published, along with the rest of the congressional justification, in the following year’s Presidential Budget Request.
- 2023 Significant Items Responses (PDF 1.12 MB)
- 2022 Significant Items Responses (PDF 993 KB)
- 2021 Significant Items Responses (PDF 830 KB)
- NIH Appropriations History by Institute and Center from the NIH Office of Budget
- DHHS Budget in Brief