DEA advises NICHD leadership on policies and procedures for the implementation of the institute’s research grant and training programs. In pursuit of this goal, the division handles the following administrative activities:
- Represents NICHD on NIH-wide extramural and collaborative program policy committees and coordinates implementation of such policies within the institute
- Manages and coordinates the institute's research grant and training programs and cooperative agreement activities
- Conducts initial scientific merit review of research grant applications and contract proposals
- Assists with advisory council activities and meetings
- Develops and leads extramural staff training and enhances NICHD-wide understanding of standardized approaches, policies, methods, and procedures
Through its branches and activities, DEA provides a centralized point of coordination, guidance, and implementation for extramural research and training.
- Grants Management Branch
Performs management and internal control and acquisition functions for all NICHD grant programs.
- Office of Extramural Policy
Advises leadership on policies and procedures that affect the institute's extramural activities.
- Scientific Review Branch
Responsible for a broad range of functions related to the review of grant applications and contract proposals.