To help inform the STRIVE Action Plan, NICHD has many activities planned related to its three themes, and to enhancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA).
Broad involvement in these activities from various populations and communities allows for a more comprehensive Action Plan. NICHD invites individuals and groups to participate in as many activities as possible to ensure a wide range of perspectives are considered.
Check out an update on STRIVE from the January 2023 meeting of the National Advisory Child Health and Human Development Council.
Please sign up for the STRIVE listserv for initiative updates.
Theme 1 (Ensuring DEIA in NICHD’s Workforce) Activities
- Coordinate annual Manual Directive 715 Report
- Administer pulse survey, analyze data, and make recommendations
- Monitor relevant data from the Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey
- Assess findings from the NIH Civility and Equity Survey
- Conduct NICHD demographic and personnel actions trend analysis
- Work collaboratively with the NIH Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Office on best practices and programs
Theme 2 (Enhancing Opportunities for DEIA in the Broader Scientific Workforce) Activities
- Analyze the characteristics and career trajectories of NICHD trainees and project directors/principal investigators
- Plan and host a Scientific Workforce Diversity Workshop
- Examine programs and policies that can increase diversity in our extramural training programs
- Garner input from intramural trainees on their experience at NICHD through exit surveys
Theme 3 (Planning, Conducting, and Supporting Health Disparities Research) Activities
- Analyze NICHD’s health disparities research portfolio
- Host workshops to identify current scientific needs in the health disparities research space relevant to our mission and populations
- Identify key methods or measures in need of development to support health disparities research
- Identify scientific initiatives that support health disparities research relevant for NICHD participation