Gelatin solution should be freshly prepared on the day of use and discarded. To 500ml of dH2O at 56°C, slowly add 0.5g of pig skin gelatin (Sigma Gelatin from Porcine Skin) over a period of 5 to 10 mins. When cool, add 0.25g chrom alum and mix well.
- Place glass slides in a suitable slide holder (Thomas Scientific Part # 8542K20) and rinse slides in hot water to wet.
- Wash slides in hot soapy water for 10min. with occasional agitation.
- Rinse slides in hot water until all traces of soap are gone. (~15min.)
- Rinse slides under running distilled water (~5 min).
- Dip slides in 70% EtOH. Drain excess ethanol and dry in a dust-free area overnight. Set slides in the rack at an angle with absorbent paper underneath and cover using a large container, or tin foil.
- Dip slides in gelatin solution for 10 seconds, drain excess solution and then dip a second time.
- Dry slides in a dust-free area overnight. Set slides in the rack and dry as in step 5.
- Wrap the entire rack of gelatin-coated slides in foil and store in a clean area. Coated slides can be transferred to slide boxes for storage.