Specific cell types sometimes require coated coverslip for optimum growth. Poly-ornithine or poly-lysine improve the growth and adhesion of, among other, oligodendrocytes. Astrocytes require no coating, neurons do best with collagen.
- Using 0.15M Sodium Borate buffer (Boric Acid, pH with NaOH) pH 8.4, make a 1mg/ml Stock of Poly-L-Ornithine or Poly-L-Lysine. Do not attempt to filter this solution. (Polyornithine is purchased in 50mg vials. Add 10ml of Sodium Borate buffer directly to one new vial, mix well, then transfer entire contents to a 50ml tube and bring volume to 50ml with Borate Buffer. Store Stock at 4°C for up to 6 months.)
- To prepare Stock for use, dilute to 0.1mg/ml with sterile water, then filter through a 0.22µm sterile filter. Diluted solutions can be stored at 4°C for 3 months.
- Cover each 100mm dish with 5ml of solution. Cover each glass coverslip with ~500µl of dilute solution. Avoid getting solution under coverslip, as this makes it more difficult to remove the coverslip from the dish later.
- Allow dishes to sit undisturbed for 1 hour at room temp.
- Aspirate solution, then wash dishes with sterile water. Aspirate water and repeat twice more.
- Let dry completely (lids on) in a culture hood. Overnight is sufficient.
- Store coated coverslips and dishes at 4°C, wrapped in foil.
Products and Supplies
- Poly-L-Lysine Sigma Chemical P9155 50mg
- Poly-L-Ornithine Sigma Chemical P3655 50mg