SRB is responsible for a broad range of functions related to the review of grant applications and contract proposals. The branch also provides policy direction and coordination for planning and conducting initial scientific and technical merit reviews of applications for numerous types of grant applications, including the following:
- Program projects (P01s)
- Centers and data coordinating centers (P20s, P30s, P50s, P2Cs, PL1s, U01s, UG1s, U24s, U54s)
- Institutional training grants (T32s)
- Career development awards (various Ks)
- Conference grants (R13s)
- Small research grants (R03s)
- Research education programs (R25)
- Research projects (R01s)
- Exploratory/developmental research grants (R21s)
- Loan repayment program grants L30, L40, L50
The branch also assembles technical evaluation groups of extramural scientists to evaluate contract proposals that arrive in response to requests for proposals issued by the institute.
SRB scientific review officers maintain oversight of all aspects of the peer review process, managing the Integrated Review Group (IRG) study sections and organizing Special Emphasis Panel review meetings, as needed, to recruit extramural scientists to serve as peer reviewers.
Certain activities, such as fellowships, small business grants, R21, R01, and other grant applications, are also reviewed by the NIH Center for Scientific Review.