PTCIB supports research and training aimed at preventing, treating, and reducing all forms of childhood traumatic injury and critical illness across the continuum of care.
This includes research to understand the biobehavioral, psychosocial, and pathophysiologic aspects of trauma; to improve prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of traumatic injury and critical illness in infants, children, adolescents, and young adults; and to reduce secondary injury and comorbidities.
- Check Out This Pre-application Webinar Info:
On June 30, 2020, NICHD held a pre-application webinar for potential applicants for RFA-HD-21-016: Collaborative Pediatric Clinical Care Research Network (PL1, Clinical Trial Required)
FAQs on RFA-HD-21-016 (PDF 187 KB) (Updated 07/03/2020)
Webinar Slides (PDF 756 KB)
- Our branch is hiring! Visit our Jobs page to learn more.
- In response to concerns that COVID-related stay-at-home orders might correlate with increased incidences of child abuse, UNICEF has posted technical guidance designed to help authorities strengthen protection measures for children during the pandemic .
- HHS's "Strong and Thriving Families" website and CDC's "Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention" website both offer ways to increase awareness and provide families with the resources and strategies needed to prevent child abuse and neglect.
- Resources to Keep Children Safe in the Aftermath of a Hurricane : From ChildTrends.org
- Video: PTCIB Chief Dr. Valerie Maholmes Talks About TBI in Kids
View the text alternative.
- Branch Strategic Plan
- Meeting: Advances in Pediatric Trauma and Critical Illness Research: Building the Field, Advancing the Science
This scientific meeting included presentations and discussions related to the PTCIB strategic research agenda; view meeting videocast.
- Tamburro, R. F., Jenkins, T. L., & Kochanek, P. M. (2016). Strategic planning for research in pediatric critical Care. Pediatric Critical Care: a Journal of the Society of Critical Care Medicine and the World Federation of Pediatric Intensive and Critical Care Societies, 17, 11, e539-e542. PMID: 27679964
- Maholmes, V., Tamburro, R. F., & Jenkins, T. L. (2016). Toward a research agenda on pediatric trauma and critical illness. JAMA Pediatrics, 170, 1, 7-8.
- Maholmes, V. (2015). Championing research on traumatised and injured children. Injury Prevention: Journal of the International Society for Child and Adolescent Injury Prevention, 21, 6, 441. (PDF 314 KB)
- Meeting: Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome: A Challenge for the Pediatric Critical Care Community. This 2-day workshop organized by the branch included discussions of this syndrome, identified key knowledge gaps, and considered potential opportunities for future research. Pediatric Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome Supplement to Pediatric Critical Care Medicine .
- Workshop on Pulmonary Complications of Pediatric Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HCT). Co-sponsored by NICHD, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, and the National Cancer Institute, this workshop was a multidisciplinary effort to describe the status of pulmonary complications occurring within a year after HCT in children, to identify critical gaps in existing knowledge and to explore avenues for research to address these knowledge gaps to advance care and optimize outcomes.