Addressing issues related to infertility in both men and women is a central part of the NICHD mission. The Institute conducts and supports research on various aspects of infertility, including:
- Causes of infertility
- Therapies for treating infertility
- Demographics of infertility and its treatments
- Economic impact of infertility and its treatments
- Conditions and disorders that cause, contribute to, or are associated with infertility
- Fertility as a sign of overall health
NICHD also supports several networks that study fertility/infertility and provides programs to train investigators in infertility research.