When a couple experiences problems with fertility, the cause(s) can be multiple and overlapping. Problems in the male are just as likely as problems in the female, and it is equally likely that the cause is a combination from both partners.
In many cases, the exact cause of the infertility remains unknown or unexplained—a situation called idiopathic infertility.
Because so many things factor into infertility, this website can provide only a summary of the most common problems related to infertility for both males and females. In some cases, these causes or factors overlap and occur at the same time, compounding their effects on fertility.
- Possible Causes of Female Infertility
- Possible Causes of Male Infertility
- Age-Related Factors and Infertility in Females and Males
- Lifestyle and Environmental Factors and Infertility in Females and Males
- Unexplained or Idiopathic Infertility in Females and Males
If you have specific questions about your own fertility or infertility, you should talk with your health care provider.