Getting pregnant and carrying a pregnancy to term are actually very complicated processes. Many things can go wrong during these processes to lead to infertility. For this reason, the following list includes only some of the common causes of infertility in females; it is not meant to be all-inclusive. A woman who is having difficulty getting pregnant or carrying a pregnancy to term should talk with her health care provider about possible treatments.
- Jose-Miller, A. B., Boyden, J. W., & Frey, K. A. (2007). Infertility. American Family Physician, 75, 849–856.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2016). HPV vaccines: Vaccinating your preteen or teen. Retrieved October 17, 2016, from http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/parents/vaccine.html
- Mojarrad, M., Hassanzadeh-Nazarabadi, M., & Tafazoli, N. (2013). Polymorphism of genes and implantation failure. International Journal of Molecular and Cellular Medicine, 2(1), 1-8.
- Simon, A., & Laufer, N. (2012). Assessment and treatment of repeated implantation failure (RIF). Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, 29(11), 1227–1239.
- Gauché-Cazalis, C., Koskas, M., Scali, S. C., Luton, D., & Yazbeck, C. (2012). Endometriosis and implantation: Myths and facts. Middle East Fertility Society Journal, 17(2), 79–81.
- Giudice, L. C. (2010). Clinical Practice: Endometriosis. New England Journal of Medicine, 362(25), 2389–2398.
- Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. (2012). Endometriosis and infertility: A committee opinion. Fertility and Sterility, 98(3), 591–598.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. (2012). Frequently asked questions: Endometriosis. Retrieved May 31, 2016, from http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Endometriosis
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2015). Infertility FAQs:What is infertility? Retrieved January 7, 2016, from http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/infertility/
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine. (2014). Polycystic ovary syndrome. Retrieved May 31, 2016, from http://www.fertilityanswers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos.pdf (PDF - 201 KB)
- Cox, L., & Liu, J. H. (2014). Primary ovarian insufficiency: An update. International Journal of Women's Health, 6, 235–243.
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine. (2015). Fibroids and fertility. Retrieved May 31, 2016, from http://www.fertilityanswers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/fibroids-and-fertility.pdf/ (PDF - 251 KB)
- McCulloch, F. (2014). Natural treatments for autoimmune infertility concerns. American College for Advancement in Medicine Integrative Medicine Blog. Retrieved May 31, 2016, from http://www.acam.org/blogpost/1092863/179527/Natural-Treatments-for-Autoimmune-Infertility-Concerns