NICHD research addresses pelvic pain and some of the numerous gynecologic and nongynecologic disorders associated with it.
Within this broad context, NICHD research on pelvic pain aims to:
- Investigate the etiology of pelvic pain disorders as well as characterize the underlying mechanisms and contributors to pain
- Examine the relationship between pelvic pain disorders and other diseases or conditions
- Describe the physical, emotional, interpersonal, economic, and other burdens of pelvic pain
- Improve standardization of measurement and diagnostic criteria to aid in pain assessment and diagnosis of pain disorders, facilitate the comparison of clinical trial results, and support evidence-based practice
- Develop minimally invasive approaches to treat pelvic pain disorders and their symptoms