To maintain a healthy weight, it is important to create a balance between the calories taken in and the calories used. To lose weight, a person usually needs to reduce calories and increase physical activity.
If lifestyle changes are not enough to reduce weight, medicines and weight-loss surgery may also be options for some people.1
What are some tips for healthy eating?
- Emphasize fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and dairy products.
- Include lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.
- Eat a diet low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars.
- Drink more water instead of sugary drinks.
How much physical activity does an adult need?
Getting enough physical activity is an important way to help prevent or reduce the risk of overweight and obesity and related health problems.
- Adults age 18 and older need at least 30 minutes of physical activity on 5 or more days of the week to be healthy.
- Children and teens need at least 60 minutes of activity a day for their health.
Learn more about weight-loss techniques, medications, and surgery options.