Basic information for topics, such as "What is it?" and "How many people are affected?," is available in the About Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) section. Other Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that are specific to a certain topic are answered in this section.
- Cohen, D., Pichard, N., Tordjman, S., Baumann, C., Burglen, L., Excoffier, E., et al. (2005). Specific genetic disorders and autism: Clinical contribution towards their identification. Journal of Autism Developmental Disorders, 35(1), 103–116.
- Kumar, R. A., & Christian, S. L. (2009). Genetics of autism spectrum disorders. Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports, 9(3), 188–197.
- Tuchman, R., & Rapin, I. (2002). Epilepsy in autism. Lancet Neurology, 1, 352–358.
- Smalley, S. L. (1998). Autism and tuberous sclerosis. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 28(5), 407–414.
- Wiznitzer, M. (2004). Autism and tuberous sclerosis. Journal of Child Neurology, 19(9), 675–679.
- Kielinen, M., Rantala, H., Timonen, E., Linna, S. L., & Moilanen, I. (2004). Associated medical disorders and disabilities in children with autistic disorder: A population-based study. Autism, 8(1), 49–60.
- Goodlin-Jones, B. L, Tassone, F., Gane, L. W., & Hagerman, R. J. (2004). Autistic spectrum disorder and the fragile X premutation. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 25(6), 392–398.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition. (2013). American Psychiatric Association: Washington, DC.
- Simonoff, E., Pickles, A., Charman, T., Chandler, S., Loucas, T., & Baird, G. (2008). Psychiatric disorders in children with autism spectrum disorders: Prevalence, comorbidity, and associated factors in a population-derived sample. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 47(8), 921–929.
- National Institute of Mental Health. (2010). Anxiety disorders. Retrieved May 31, 2012, from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml
- National Institute of Mental Health. (2012). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Retrieved May 31, 2012, from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/index.shtml
- Autism Speaks. (2013). Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about DSM-5. Retrieved October 11, 2013, from http://www.autismspeaks.org/dsm-5/faq
- Jain, A., Marshall, J., Buikema, A., Bancroft, T., Kelly, J. P., & Newschaffer, C. J. (2015). Autism occurrence by MMR vaccine status among US children with older siblings with and without autism. JAMA, 313(15), 1534–1540. Retrieved September 8, 2016, from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25898051
- Owley, T., McMahon, W., Cook, E. H., Laulhere, T., South, M., Mays, L. Z., et al. (2001). Multisite, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of porcine secretin in autism. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 40(11), 1293–1299.
- Owley, T., Steele, E., Corsello, C., Risi, S., McKaig, K., Lord, C., et al. (1999). Double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of secretin for the treatment of autistic disorder. Medscape General Medicine, Oct 6, E2.
- Levy, S.E., Giarelli, E., Lee, L.C., Schieve, L.A., Kirby, R.S., Cunniff, C. (2010). Autism spectrum disorder and co-occurring developmental, psychiatric, and medical conditions among children in multiple populations of the United States. J Dev Behav Pediatr, 31, 267-275. Retrieved March 2, 2018, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20431403