August 4, 2021 (10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET)
Office of Health Equity (OHE), Office of the Director, NICHD
NIH VideoCast: https://videocast.nih.gov/watch=42541
NICHD launched the STrategies to enRich Inclusion and achieVe Equity (STRIVE) initiative in 2021 to improve equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the institute’s research and workforce.
Led by OHE, STRIVE aims to:
- Enhance EDI within NICHD’s workforce
- Foster EDI in the broader scientific workforce and among trainees
- Understand how to mitigate the root causes of health disparities and develop potential solutions to reduce or address these disparities through research
The goals of this second STRIVE for Change workshop are to advance understanding of how to leverage social identities and their intersectionality, and how to acknowledge and address identity-related biases to promote health and reduce disparities across populations, lifespans, and generations.
This workshop will include sessions on the following topics:
- Identity processes and health outcomes
- Community engagement approaches
- The role of bias in health disparities
- Challenges in defining and measuring identity and intersectionality
The workshop also will help inform the STRIVE Action Plan for achieving initiative themes. The Action Plan will complement the NICHD Strategic Plan and will guide changes in NICHD’s activities and policies for EDI and health disparities research for the next 5 years.
Individuals who need reasonable accommodations to participate in this activity should contact Liza Cook at email@example.com at least 5 days in advance.
Learn more about the STRIVE for Change Workshop Series.