Dr. Sharma earned his Ph.D. from Department of Biophysics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India in 2015. He began as a Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow in Loh lab in early 2017 where he is working primarily on finding a human receptor for NFα1/CPE. This project involved screening of a human GPCR library against NFα1/CPE and he has succeeded in finding an interacting partner/receptor for human NFα1/CPE. Currently He is studying the signaling mechanism of NFα1/CPE via newly identified HTR1E receptor. In addition to this Dr. Sharma is involved in “determining the non-enzymatic neurotrophic function of NFα1/CPE in mice” where he has characterized the changes in peptide levels of CPE E342Q (a mutation in CPE protein) mice which lacks enzymatic activity and determined the signaling mechanism being regulated by CPE E342Q.
Area of interest/expertise
- Receptor biology
- Cell signaling
Date of Birth: 21/09/1985
Bldg 49, Room 6C80
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20892
Education and Research Experience
|February 2017||Present||Postdoctoral fellow||Section on Cellular Neurobiology, NICHD, NIH, Bethesda, USA|
|April 2016||February 2017||Scientist||Department of Biophysics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, India|
|August 2015||January 2016||Research associate||Department of Biophysics, AIIMS, New Delhi, India|
|February 2011||August 2015||PhD||Department of Biophysics, AIIMS, New Delhi, India|
|April 2009||January 2011||Junior research fellow||Department of Biophysics, AIIMS, New Delhi, India|
|2006||2008||Master of Science with specialization in Biotechnology||Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|2003||2006||Bachelor of Science in Biology||Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India|
Research done/going on
- Post-doc project: Characterization of NFα1/CPE-HTR1E signaling pathway in neuroprotection.
- PhD thesis: Platelet-derived growth factor associated protein-1: Cloning, expression, purification, structural and functional characterization.
- Master’s thesis: Molecular Forms of Prostate specific Antigen-Purification & characterization From Seminal Plasma.
- Lan Xiao*, Yang Xuyu*, Sharma VK, Loh YP. Cloning, gene regulation and neuronal proliferation functions of novel N-terminal-truncated Carboxypeptidase E/Neurotrophic factor –α l variants in embryonic mouse brain. FASEB J. 2019 Jan;33(1):808-820. *EQUAL CONTRIBUTION
- Aslam MK, Sharma VK, Pandey S, Kumaresan A, Srinivasan A, Datta TK, Mohanty TK, Yadav S. Identification of biomarker candidates for fertility in spermatozoa of crossbred bulls through comparative proteomics.Theriogenology. 2018 Jun 27;119:43-51.
- Kumar S, Sharma VK, Yadav S, Dey S. Antiproliferative and apoptotic effects of black turtle bean extracts on human breast cancer cell line through extrinsic and intrinsic pathway. Chem Cent J. 2017 Jun 20;11(1):56.
- Sharma VK, Singh A, Srivastava SK, Kumar V, Gardi NL, Nalwa A, Dinda AK, Chattopadhyay P, Yadav S. Increased expression of platelet-derived growth factor associated protein-1 is associated with PDGF-B mediated glioma progression. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2016 Jul 19; 78:194-205.
- Aslam MK, Kumaresan A, Sharma VK, Tajmul M, Chhillar S, Chakravarty AK, Manimaran A, Mohanty TK, Srinivasan A, Yadav S. Identification of putative fertility markers in seminal plasma of crossbred bulls through differential proteomics. Theriogenology. 2014 Dec; 82(9):1254-62.
- Binita K, Kumar S, Sharma VK, Sharma V, Yadav S. Proteomic identification of Syzygium cumini seed extracts by MALDI-TOF/MS. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2014 Feb; 172(4):2091-105.
- Kumar S*, Sharma VK*, Singh S, Hariprasad GR, Mal G, Srinivasan A, Yadav S. Proteomic identification of camel seminal plasma: purification of β-nerve growth factor. Anim Reprod Sci. 2013 Jan 30; 136(4):289-95. *EQUAL CONTRIBUTION
- Sharma V. K., Toulabi L., Xuyu Y., Loh Y.P. New role of serotonin receptor HTR1E in mediating neurotrophic effects of NF-α1/CPE through ERK signaling. Neuroscience 2018, 2018-S-6112-SfN.
- Xiao L., Xuyu Y., Sharma V. K., Abebe D., Peltekian A., Loh Y.P. E/Neurotrophic factor-α1 is a novel neuroprotective protein functioning independently of its prohormone processing enzymatic activity. Neuroscience 2018, 2018-S-5950-SfN
- Yadav S, Sharma VK, Singh A, Srivastava SK, Kumar V, Nalwa A, Dinda AK, Chattopadhyay P. Platelet-derived growth factor associated protein-1: A plausible function in Gliomas. Annals of Oncology 6 (Suppl 8): viii14-viii14.
- Attended NICHD, NIH fellows retreat, May 2019, Potomac, USA.
- Poster presentation in SFN-2018, November 2018, San Diego, California, USA.
- Attended NICHD, NIH fellows retreat, April 2017, Washington DC, USA.
- Attended 1st AIIMS-FAM PUBLIC HEALTH and medical Innovation Forum, November 2015, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Poster presentation in the International Conference on Frontiers in Reproductive Biotechnology, January 2011, National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, INDIA.
- Poster presentation in 7th Asian Biophysical Association, January 2011, Department of NMR, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- National Symposium on Translational Research in health sciences, November 2009, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
Awards and Honors
- Fellows Award for Research Excellence (FARE), 2018, NIH, Bethesda, USA
- Qualified for ICMR-CENTENARY Post-doc fellowship.
- Awarded Senior Research Fellowship by Indian Council of Medical Research.
- Qualified the All India Ph.D. entrance examination conducted by All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Chaired Society of Young Scientist (SYS), AIIMS for 2012-13.
- Member, Society for Neuroscience