Basic information for topics, such as “What is it?” is available in the About Stroke section. Answers to other frequently asked questions (FAQs) specific to stroke are in this section.
Can stroke be prevented?
Making healthy choices and managing medical conditions can diminish your risk of stroke. These include:
- Eating a healthy diet, which includes plenty of fruits and vegetables and foods low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Staying physically active
- Not smoking
- Limiting alcohol use
- Checking your cholesterol
- Monitoring your blood pressure
- Managing diabetes
- Taking medication to treat high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes
- Talking to your health care provider regularly about preventing or treating the medical conditions that lead to heart disease or increase your risk of stroke1