Basic information for topics, such as “What is it?” and “How many people are affected?” is available in the Condition Information section. In addition, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that are specific to a certain topic are answered in this section.
Can stroke be prevented?
Making healthy choices and managing medical conditions can diminish your risk of stroke. These include:
- Eating a healthy diet, which includes plenty of fruits and vegetables and foods low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Staying physically active
- Not smoking
- Limiting alcohol use
- Checking your cholesterol
- Monitoring your blood pressure
- Managing diabetes
- Taking medication to treat high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes
- Talking to your health care provider regularly about preventing or treating the medical conditions that lead to heart disease or increase your risk of stroke1