- NINDS Muscular Dystrophy Information Page
In addition to current information about muscular dystrophy (MD), this page contains links to other federal agencies involved in MD research and private organizations.
- MedlinePlus: Muscular Dystrophy
The MedlinePlus page on MD contains links to a series of related articles with detailed information about various tests used in the diagnosis and treatment of MD, types of MD, and the care of MD patients.
Services, Resources, and Support
- Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA)
MDA funds research and provides a range of supports and resources for MD patients and their families, in addition to advocating for patients and funding research into causes and treatments. A sampling of these resources is linked here:
- Quest: MDA's Research & Health Magazine
- MDA/ALS Newsmagazine
- Facts About Duchenne Muscular Dystrophies
- Facts About Becker Muscular Dystrophies
- Facts About Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy
- Learning to Live With Neuromuscular Disease: A Message for Parents
- MDA Services for the Individual, Family and Community
- Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy
The project focuses its resources on Duchenne MD. It offers detailed information about Duchenne, its diagnosis, treatments, and care and management. The project sponsors annual educational conferences for families and advocates for and supports research on Duchenne MD. Read about coping with emotional issues.
- FSH Society
The society is a grassroots network of facioscapulohumeral MD patients, their families, and research activists. Its For Patients webpage contains information on physicians, health conditions, peer-to-peer support, genetics, diagnostic tests, frequently asked questions about clinical research, and much more.
- KidsHealth: Muscular Dystrophy
This Nemours Foundation–sponsored page contains detailed information on symptoms, diagnosis, types of MD, and care and treatment of this disorder. The site also has information about the disease written at a level for children and teenagers.
Please note: Links to organizations and information included on this page do not indicate endorsement from the NICHD, NIH, or HHS.