The signs of intellectual and development disabilities (IDDs) vary for particular conditions.
- Sitting up, crawling, or walking later than other children of similar age
- Learning to talk later or having difficulty speaking
- Finding it hard to remember things
- Having trouble understanding the rules of social behavior
- Having difficulty "seeing" or understanding the outcomes of actions
- Having trouble solving problems
Developmental milestones can be monitored to identify delays (e.g., in walking or talking) that could indicate an IDD.
To learn more about developmental milestones, and milestones for different ages, visit the following websites:
- American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: