April 14-15, 2014
NICHD and The HSC Foundation
Natcher Conference Center (Building 45), NIH Main Campus, Bethesda, Maryland
This conference brings together military families, leading civilian and military researchers, providers of educational and health care services, and other stakeholders who care for the mental and physical health of children and families connected to the military.
For this conference, special health care needs are defined as having or being at increased risk for a chronic physical, developmental, behavioral, or emotional condition and that requires health and related services of a type or amount beyond that required generally. About 15% of children in the United States have special health care needs; however, less is known about the prevalence of these needs among military connected children.
The conference will explore what is known about military connected children with special health care needs in terms of their educational, psychosocial, and physical health statuses. Participants will also explore gaps in the knowledge base especially as they relate to disparities in health care access and utilization within these families.
The goal is to increase participants’ knowledge and awareness of military connected children with special health care needs and their families and to identify areas where more research and expanded services are needed. Additional objectives include:
- Examining current knowledge about the demographics and health status of military children with special health care needs
- Identifying the gaps in knowledge about these children and how these gaps may be addressed
- Recommending next steps for research and services to improve the health and quality of life for these children and their families.
HSC Foundation President and CEO Dr. Thomas Chapman, NICHD Director Dr. Alan Guttmacher, and NICHD Deputy Director Dr. Yvonne Maddox will speak at the conference, in addition to a list of invited speakers.
This meeting is free and open to the public. However, seating is limited; therefore registration will be confirmed on a first-come/first-serve basis.
- Conference Summary and Recommendations (PDF - 1.2 MB)
- NICHD Spotlight: NICHD and HSC Foundation Event on Military-Connected Children with Special Needs (Includes Video Interviews)
Tiffany Ferguson, Pediatric Trauma and Critical Illness Branch, Division of Extramural Research, NICHD
Tel: (301) 402-5261