The Research Animal Medicine Branch (RAMB) directs the program of laboratory animal care and use for NICHD's Division of Intramural Research (DIR). RAMB also provides animal research support services to NICHD investigators and represents the interests of NICHD on all aspects of animal research.
The branch provides primary veterinary care; advises the NICHD Scientific Director on animal care and use practices, ensures that animal use within DIR is in accordance with applicable regulatory standards, and coordinates DIR animal use, including appropriate animal model selection, support requirements, and Animal Study Proposal (ASP) review.
RAMB also provides consultation and valuable assistance to NICHD investigators, including:
- Advising scientific staff on comparative medicine, ASP design, disease interference, and other factors that may complicate or invalidate research results
- Implementing and coordinating animal health monitoring
- Coordinating quarantine for incoming animals of unknown health status to prevent the introduction of agents pathogenic to humans or animals
- Coordinating a central ordering program for NICHD
- Providing administrative management of the NICHD Animal Care and Use Committee (ACUC)
- Interfacing with organizations and institutions concerned with the ethical and humane care and use of animals in research
Investigators must meet certain criteria prior to beginning any animal-based research at NIH. These include completion of approved training, registration with the Animal Exposure Program, obtaining approval from the NICHD ACUC for proposed studies, animal procurement, and instruction in special animal facility operating procedures. The following links provide information on these requirements, as well as other investigator-focused information.
- About the NICHD ACUC (Login Required)
- NIH Animal Research Advisory Committee guidelines
- NIH policy manuals regulating the use of animals in research
- Routine and emergency veterinary care (Login Required)
- Outside inquiries into your animal research (Login Required)
- Reporting animal welfare concerns to NIH
Login is required to access the following pages:
- NICHD ACUC members
- NICHD guidance for animal studies
- NICHD ASP forms
- Rodent facility user guides
- Aquatic facility user guide
- Calendar for Building 6A fourth floor conference room
- Administrative Management Branch standard operating procedures