September 23-24, 2021 (10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. ET; 10:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. ET)
Pediatric Growth and Nutrition Branch (PGNB), Division of Extramural Research (DER), NICHD; Office of Dietary Supplements, Office of the NIH Director, NIH; Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Registration is free and encouraged, but not required
This 2-day, virtual workshop—Exploring the Science Surrounding the Safe Use of Bioactive Ingredients in Infant Formula: Considerations for an Assessment Framework—focuses on the functional state-of-the-science of biologically active human milk components and analogs and the implications for safety assessments when used in infant formula.
This workshop will feature scientific sessions on both days, on the following topics:
- Normal infant developmental outcomes
- Human milk as a reference for bioactive ingredients
- Consideration of interactions between bioactive ingredients during processing or via the matrix
- Functional equivalence of bioactive ingredients from different sources
- Consideration of interactions between bioactive ingredients and other components
Additionally, workshop participants will have the opportunity on both days to ask questions of the speakers as well as discuss next steps on the final day.
Dr. Ashley Vargas, PGNB, DER, NICHD