November 1, 2019 (2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. EST)
NICHD is committed to supporting multicenter clinical trials involving populations relevant to its mission, including women, infants, children, and people with disabilities. The development of the new NICHD Strategic Plan (PDF 2.3 MB), together with updates to NIH policy and advances in training, present an opportunity to adjust how the institute will fund infrastructure for these trials, both extramurally and intramurally. For example:
- New NIH policies on rigor and reproducibility, clinical trials, and data sharing require changes to the governance and conduct of trials in large-scale networks.
- Policies related to conflict of interest for federal staff also affect the funding mechanisms selected to support these trials.
- The fields supported by NICHD have a higher level of clinical trial expertise than when these networks were initiated, enabling researchers to operate and form collaborations more independently.
During this webinar, NICHD leadership will explain in more detail these drivers for change and how the institute can adapt to continue its commitment to multisite clinical trials. The audience will have an opportunity to ask questions
- In support of this opportunity, NICHD is soliciting input from the public on its vision for multisite clinical trials infrastructure, a component of the recently released NICHD Strategic Plan 2020. NICHD invites the research community, healthcare professionals and professional organizations, patient and family advocates, and interested members of the public to provide comments and input through the Request for Information (RFI).
- Strategic Plan 2020 Implementation: NICHD’s Vision for Multisite Clinical Trials Infrastructure (PDF 2 MB)
For program-related questions:
- Dr. Caroline Signore, Division of Extramural Research, NICHD