The OLPP was originally established in 1999 as the Office of Legislative and Public Liaison, but was renamed in 2003.
The Office supports the Institute on a variety of functions related to legislation, public liaison, partnerships, controlled correspondence, and other special projects. Brief descriptions of Office activities within these areas appear below.
Legislation and Public Policy
- Advises the NICHD director and staff on matters relating to public policy that come from Congress, the Executive Branch, and advocacy groups.
- Monitors, analyzes, and reports on public policy activities relevant to NICHD and NIH.
- Acts as a resource for the NICHD Office of the Director and staff in providing information and describing research activities to Congress.
- Develops and issues reports and briefing materials on the institute's research activities, programs, and policies for use in hearings, briefings, and meetings.
- Serves as the point of contact for the Office of Legislative Policy and Analysis within the NIH Office of the Director.
- For more information:
- NICHD Budget and Appropriations includes Congressional justifications, significant item responses, testimony presented before Congress, and a link to the NICHD grants map.
- NICHD Legislative History outlines relevant laws that authorized or affected NICHD programs or research activities.
- NIH Office of Budget has information on the NIH budget, Congressional justifications and appropriations, and testimony presented by the NIH director.
- NIH Office of Legislative Policy and Analysis serves as the initial point of contact for NIH's interactions with Congress and the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Legislation within the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Coordinates responses to inquiries and requests from outside organizations and constituency groups.
- Communicates with outside research advocacy groups on a wide variety of research-related issues, including the impact of legislative language on the institute's activities.
- Conveys to outside organizations opportunities for public input and identifies new avenues for public involvement with the institute.
- Serves as the institute's point of contact for the Friends of NICHD coalition.
- For more information: NIH Office of Legislative Policy and Analysis
- Serves as the point of contact for inquiries and initial discussions on possible partnerships.
- Provides assistance and input on the institute's public-private partnerships.
- Develops partnership agreements for the institute.
- For more information: Partnering with the NICHD
Controlled Correspondence and Other Special Projects
- Works with the NICHD director, deputy director, and program staff to manages and responds to the Institute's official correspondence assigned by the Executive Secretariat of the NIH.
- Implements special projects on an as-needed basis, as directed by the director or deputy director, such as representing NICHD on the trans-NIH Clinical Trials Awareness Working Group.
- For more information: NIH Executive Secretariat