- Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 Funded Projects
- More than $13 million awarded to support 22 projects in response to NOT-OD-21-071
- Focus areas include the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on maternal health and the impact of structural racism and discrimination on maternal health outcomes in the context of COVID-19
- FY 2020 Funded Projects
- More than $7 million awarded to support 36 projects related to NOT-OD-20-104
- Focus areas include biological risk factors related to maternal morbidity and mortality and protective factors for healthy pregnancy in populations with health disparities
Completed Research Challenges
- Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics Technology (RADx® Tech) for Maternal Health Challenge
This challenge prioritizes home-based or point-of-care diagnostic devices, wearables, and other remote sensing technologies to extend postpartum care in regions lacking access to maternity care. Initial submissions were due by November 1, 2022, and final winners are expected to be announced in 2024.
- Connecting the Community for Maternal Health Challenge
This challenge encourages community-based and advocacy organizations in the United States to develop the infrastructure and capabilities necessary to conduct maternal health research. The application period closed September 29, 2022, and final winners are expected to be announced in 2024.
- NIH Technology Accelerator Challenge (NTAC) for Maternal Health
NTAC, managed by the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, awarded cash prizes for innovative diagnostic technologies to help improve maternal health by diagnosing conditions related to maternal morbidity and mortality. The application period closed April 22, 2022, and final winners were announced July 28, 2022.
- Decoding Maternal Morbidity Data Challenge
This challenge sought innovative methods for identifying complication risks in first-time pregnancies. The application period closed October 15, 2021, and final winners were announced December 7, 2021.