Address: 216 Currier Dr, Rockville, MD 20850 USA
|2002-2005||Cancer Research Institute, Xiang-Ya School of Medicine, Central South University, Changsha, China
Major: Molecular Oncology
Obtained a Ph.D Degree of Medical Science
|1998-2001||Cancer Research Institute, Hunan Medical University
(Now as Xiang-Ya School of Medicine, Central South University), Changsha, China
Major: Molecular Oncology
Obtained a master degree of Medical Science
|2016.11-present||Staff Scientist, Section on Cellular Neurobiology, Division of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, U.S.A.|
|2014.10-2016.11||Research Fellow, Section on Cellular Neurobiology, Division of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, U.S.A.|
|2012.10-2014.10||Research Associate, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, U.S.A.|
|2011.10-2012.9||Research Fellow, Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis, Center for Cancer Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, U.S.A.|
|2006.9-2011.9||Visiting Fellow, Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis, Center for Cancer Research, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD, U.S.A.|
|2005.11-2006.9||Assistant Researcher, Cancer Research Institute, Xiang-Ya School of Medicine, Central South University, Changsha, P.R. China|
|2002.9-2005.11||Assistant Researcher and Ph.D candidate, Cancer Research Institute, Xiang-Ya School of Medicine, Central South University, Changsha, China|
- Active member of American Association of Cancer Research
|2016-present||Associate editor, Oncotargets and Therapy|
- Vinay K. Sharma, Xuyu Yang, Daniel Saiz Sanchez, Soo-Kiang Kim, Sangeetha Hareendran, Lan Xiao, Patrica Villanueva Anguita, Leila Toulabi, Hong Lou, William Goddard III and Y. Peng Loh. A novel neurotrophic factor-α1-HTR1E serotonin receptor interaction activates ERK-BCL2 signaling to promote cell survival. Manuscript in preparation
- Sangeetha Hareendran, Bassam Albraidy, Xuyu Yang, Aiyi Liu, Anne Breggia, Bryce Killingsworth, Jennifer Clare Jones and Y. Peng Loh. Exosomal Carboxypeptidase E confers, and CPE-shRNA loaded exosomes inhibit tumorigenesis. Manuscript in preparation
- Lan Xiao, Vinay Kumar Sharma, Leila Toulabi, Yang Xuyu, Cheol Lee, Daniel Abebe, Areg Peltekian, Irina Arnaoutova, Y Peng Loh. Neurotrophic factor-α1,not BDNF, is critical in preventing stress-induced hippocampal CA3 cell death and cognitive dysfunction in mice. Manuscript under review at PNAS
- Xiao L*, Yang XY*, Sharma VK, Loh YP. Cloning, gene regulation, and neuronal proliferation functions of novel N-terminal-truncated carboxypeptidase E/neurotrophic factor-αl variants in embryonic mouse brain. FASEB J. 2019 Jan;33(1):808-820. (* Equal contribution) PMID: 30063439
- Yang XY, Lou H, Chen YT, Huang SF and Loh YP. A novel 40kDa N-terminal truncated Carboxypeptidase E splice variant: Cloning, cDNA sequence analysis and role in regulation of metastatic genes in human cancers. Genes & Cancer. 2019; E-Pub: https://doi.org/10.18632/genesandcancer.193
- Xiao L, Yang XY, and Loh YP. Neurotrophic, Gene Regulation, and Cognitive Functions of Carboxypeptidase E-Neurotrophic Factor-α1 and Its Variants. Front Neurosci. 2019 Mar 19;13:243. PMID: 30941009
- Huang SF, Wu HI, Chen YT, Murthy SR,Chiu YT, Chang Y, Chang IC, Yang X, Loh YP. Carboxypeptidase E is a prediction marker for tumor recurrence in early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma. Tumour Biol. 37(7):9745-53; 2016. PMID: 26803519
- Yang XY, Zhou XL MD, Tone P, Durkin ME, and Popescu NC. Cooperative antiproliferative effect of coordinated ectopic expression of DLC1 tumor suppressor protein and silencing of MYC oncogene expression on liver cancer cells: therapeutic implications. Oncology Letters.12(2):1591–1596. 2016. PMID: 27446476
- Yang X, Lee SH. Identification of ESE1 as a β-Catenin Binding Protein. Anticancer Res. 2016 Jun;36(6):2697-703. PMID: 27272778
- Liu J, Huang W, Ren C, Wen Q, Liu W, Yang XY, Wang L, Zhu B, Zeng L, Feng X, Zhang C, Chen H, Jia W, Zhang L, Xia X, Chen Y. Flotillin-2 promotes metastasis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma by activating NF-κB and PI3K/Akt3 signaling pathways. Sci Rep. 2015; 5:11614. PMID: 26206082
- Jeong JB , Yang XY , Clark R , Choi J , Baek S-J, Lee S-H. A mechanistic study of the proapoptotic effect of tolfenamic acid: involvement of NF-κB activation. Carcinogenesis. 34(10):2350-60, 2013. PMID: 23784084
- Xiaolan Qian, Marian Durkin, Dunrui Wang, Lyra Olson, Brajendra Tripathi, Xu-yu Yang, William C. Vass, Nicholas Popescu, and Douglas R. Lowy. Inactivation of the Dlc1 gene cooperates with downregulation of p15INK4b and p16Ink4a, leading to neoplastic transformation and poor prognosis in human cancer. Cancer Research. 15; 72(22):5900-11. 2012. PMID: 23010077
- Yang XY, Popescu NC, Zimonjic DB. DLC1 interaction with S100A10 mediates inhibition of in vitro cell invasion and tumorigenicity of lung cancer cells through a RhoGAP-independent mechanism. Cancer Research. 71(8): 2916-25, 2011. PMID: 21372205
- Yang XY, Guan M, Vigil D, Der CJ, Lowy DR, Popescu NC. p120Ras-GAP binds the DLC1 Rho-GAP tumor suppressor protein and inhibits its RhoA GTPase and growth-suppressing activities. Oncogene. 28(11):1401-9. 2009. PMID: 19151751
- Zhou XL*, Yang XY* and Popescu NC. Preclinical evaluation of combined antineoplastic effect of DLC1 tumor suppressor protein and suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid on prostate cancer cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun; 420(2):325-30. 2012 (* Equal contribution) PMID: 22425986
- Zhou X, Yang XY, Popescu NC. Synergistic antineoplastic effect of DLC1 tumor suppressor protein and histone deacetylase inhibitor, suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA), on prostate and liver cancer cells: perspectives for therapeutics. Int J Oncol. 36(4): 999-1005. 2010. PMID: 20198346
- Ullmannova-Benson V, Guan M, Zhou X, Tripathi V, Yang XY, Zimonjic DB, Popescu NC. DLC1 tumor suppressor gene inhibits migration and invasion of multiple myeloma cells through RhoA GTPase pathway. Leukemia. 23(2):383-90. 2009. PMID: 18923442
- Zhou X, Zimonjic DB, Park SW, Yang XY, Durkin ME and Popescu NC. DLC-1 suppresses distant dissemination of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells in nude mice through reduction of RhoA GTPase activity, actin cytoskeletal disruption and down regulation of gene involved in metastasis. Int J Oncol. 32:1285-1291, 2008. PMID: 18497990
- Zhang HB, Ren CP, Yang XY, Wang L, Li H, Zhao M, Yang H, Yao KT. Identification of label-retaining cells in nasopharyngeal epithelia and nasopharyngeal carcinoma tissues. Histochem Cell Biol. 127:347-354, 2007. PMID: 17139514
- Yang XY, Ren CP, Wang L, Yao KT. Identification of differentially expressed genes in metastatic and non-metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by suppression subtractive hybridization. Cellular Oncology 27:215-223, 2005. PMID: 16308470
- Liu WD, Feng XL, Ren CP, Shi JL, Yang XY et al. Critical role of Cys168 in noggin protein's biological function. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin. 37:181-185, 2005. PMID: 15756420
- Ren CP, Zhao M, Yang XY, Li DS, Jiang XJ, Wang L, Shan WJ, Yang H, Zhou L, Zhou W, Zhang HB. Establishment and Applications of Epstein-Barr Virus-based Episomal Vectors in Human Embryonic Stem Cells. Stem Cells. 24:1338-47, 2006. PMID: 16410388
- Li H, Ren CP, Tan XJ, Yang XY, Zhang HB, Zhou W, Yao KT. Identification of genes related to nasopharyngeal carcinoma with the help of pathway-based networks. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 38:900-910, 2006. PMID: 17151784
- Peng D, Ren CP, Yi HM, Zhou L, Yang XY, Li H, Yao KT. Genetic and epigenetic alterations of DLC-1, a candidate tumor suppressor gene, in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 38:349-355, 2006. PMID: 16680376
- Fang WY, Liu TF, Xie WB, Yang XY et al. Reexploring the possible roles of some genes associated with nasopharyngeal carcinoma using microarray-based detection. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin. 37:541-546, 2005. PMID: 16077901
- Ren CP, Zhao M, Shan WJ, Yang XY et al. Establishment of human embryonic stem cell line stably expressing Epstein-Barr virus-encoded nuclear antigen 1. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin. 37:68-73, 2005. PMID: 15645084
Conference Abstracts & Presentations:
- Hareendran S, Albraidy B, Yang X, Jones JC and Loh YP. Exosome-based Carboxypeptidase E as a biomarker and CPE-shRNA loaded exosomes as a therapeutic agent for tumor metastasis. the Gordon Research Conference (GRC) and Gordon Research Seminar(GRS) on Extracellular Vesicles, Aug 18-24, 2018. Newry, Maine.
- Sharma VK, Toulabi L, Yang XY, Loh YP. New role of serotonin receptor HTR1E in mediating neurotrophic effects of NF-α1/CPE through ERK signaling, Poster presentation. Neuroscience Society Meeting; November 3-7, 2018. San Diego.
- Xiao L, Yang X, Sharma V.K., Abebe D., Peltekian A, Loh Y.P.; Carboxypeptidase E/Neurotrophic factor-α1 is a novel neuroprotective protein functioning independently of its prohormone processing enzymatic activity. Neuroscience Society Meeting; November 3-7, 2018. San Diego.
- XuYu Yang, Cong Ling, Hong Lou and Loh Yoke Peng. A novel 40kDa CPE-ΔN isoform promotes proliferation and invasion in pancreatic cancer cells. Washington, DC AACR Annual Meeting 2017; April 1-5, 2017.
- Yang XY, Kim KT, Shao HJ, Lee SH. ESE1 binds to beta catenin and modulates its expression. 105th AACR annual meeting. Poster presentation. San Diego, CA, 2014, April.
- Yang XY, Popescu N.C, Zimonjic DB. DLC1 interaction with S100A10 mediates inhibition of in vitro cell invasion and tumorigenicity of lung cancer cells. 101th AACR annual meeting. Poster presentation. Washington D.C, 2010 Apr.
- Xu-Yu Yang, Nicholas Popescu, and Drazen: DLC1 tumor suppressor gene downregulates S100A10 expression and attenuates plasminogen to plasmin conversion. Poster presentation. 100th AACR Meeting, AprIL, Denver, CO, 2009, April.
- Yang Xu-Yu, Popescu NC, Zimonjic DB. DLC1 binds to S100A10 and Attenuates Plasminogen Activation. Ninth Annual CCR Fellows and Young Investigators Colloquium. Oral Presentation. Hershey, PA, 2009, March.
- Yang Xu-Yu, Ming Guan, Popescu NC. DLC1 RhoGAP protein with tumor suppressor function binds to RASA1 and modulates RhoA GTPase activity; potential therapeutic implication in cancers with Ras mutation. 99th AACR annual meeting. Poster presentation. San Diego, U.S.A, 2008, April.
- Yang Xu-Yu, Ming Guan, Popescu NC. DLC1 RhoGAP protein with tumor suppressor function binds to RASA1 and modulates RhoA GTPase activity; potential therapeutic implication in cancers with Ras mutation. Eighth CCR Fellows and Young Investigators Colloquium. Oral presentation. Ocean City, MD U.S.A, 2008, March.
- Yang Xu-Yu, Wang Lei, Feng Xiang Ling, Yao Kai Tai. Preliminary study on TRK-T3 expression on in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. National conference of oncology committee & conference, Hangzhou, China, 2002, Sep. Oral presentation.