The NICHD sponsors education grants for summer research experiences and methodologically-oriented short courses using the R25 mechanism.
NIH Summer Research Experience Programs
- Purpose: To support institutions that provide high-quality research experiences for high school and college students and for science teachers during the summer academic break.
- Eligibility: The Program Director/Principal Investigator and other faculty providing laboratory experiences are generally expected to have research grant support, as well as specific support from NICHD. If some faculty mentors do not have NICHD support, the application must clearly describe how the program and summer research experiences relate to NICHD’s mission.
- Most Recent Announcement: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAR-13-104.html
- NICHD and Other NIH Institute/Center-Specific Requirements for the R25 Mechanism: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/contacts/PAR-13-104_contacts.html (the information listed on the page begins with National Cancer Institute programs; scroll down for NICHD-specific information)
NICHD Education Programs
- Purpose: Provide support for research educational programs in areas relevant to the NICHD mission.
- Eligibility: Established investigators who propose short-duration educational programs to improve the research capabilities of graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, or new investigators.
- NICHD Short Courses (R25)
- Purpose: Support short-term research education programs to improve the knowledge and skills of biomedical and behavioral researchers conducting research on reproductive, developmental, behavioral, social, and rehabilitative processes. Programs focusing on uses of model organisms are also encouraged.
- Program objectives may include development and dissemination of educational or curricular materials.
- Current Announcement: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-12-207.html
- Educational Programs for Demography and Population Science, Family Planning and Contraception, and Reproductive Research (R25)
- Purpose: Support educational activities related to demography and population science, family planning and contraception, and reproductive research.
- NICHD encourages interdisciplinary approaches, methodology, and the dissemination and use of existing datasets.
- Current Announcement: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAR-11-292.html