Visit the following resources for more information on topics around weight and pregnancy.
American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM)
- Share With Women – Nutrition, Diet, and Weight : This webpage provides a series of patient handouts on these topics from the Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health , the official journal of the ACNM.
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
- Achieving a Healthy Weight in the Postpartum Patient
This publication provides strategies for safe weight loss, assessment and counseling, and prescribing physical activity (provided in the ACOG Postpartum Toolkit ).
- ACOG Committee Opinion No. 548: Weight Gain During Pregnancy
This publication provides recommendations for weight gain during pregnancy and guidelines issued by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.
- ACOG Committee Opinion No. 591: Challenges for Overweight and Obese Women
These recommendations discuss how providers can help women overcome the barriers they face when adopting a healthy lifestyle.
- ACOG Committee Opinion No. 650: Physical Activity and Exercise During Pregnancy and the Postpartum Period
This document includes recommendations for safe physical activity during pregnancy and the postpartum period.
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 156: Obesity in Pregnancy
This bulletin has recommendations regarding pre-pregnancy, prenatal, labor and delivery, and postpartum care of plus-size women, including evidence-based management, diagnosis of birth defects, metabolic disorders in pregnancy, surgical and anesthesia considerations, and postpartum care.
- Breastfeeding and Breast Milk: This webpage answers common questions about breastfeeding and breast milk and provides resources from additional groups for more information.
- Diabetes: This webpage defines gestational diabetes and describes how NICHD supports research on this condition.
- High-Risk Pregnancy: This consumer-friendly webpage defines high-risk pregnancies and answers questions about risk factors, prevention, and treatment.
- Labor and Delivery: This webpage describes the many aspects of labor and delivery, such as their basic biology, childbirth practices, and management of related problems.
- Pre-Pregnancy Care and Prenatal Care: This consumer-friendly webpage answers common questions about healthcare before and during pregnancy.
- Preeclampsia and Eclampsia: This consumer-friendly webpage answers common questions about these conditions.
- Pregnancy: This consumer-friendly webpage provides general information about pregnancy.
- Pregnancy Loss: This webpage answers common questions about pregnancy loss related to causes, risks, prevention, and treatment.
- Preterm Labor and Birth: This webpage provides general information about preterm birth and describes NICHD’s support of research on this topic area.
- Stillbirth: This webpage provides general information about stillbirth.
Plus Size Birth : A website that promotes positive resources to empower healthy decision-making for plus-size people who are either trying to conceive or currently pregnant. Plus Size Birth provides a supportive online community of plus-size people with personal stories, inspiring images, social media, and practical information.
Understanding Obesity Stigma : A brochure developed by the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) that describes the various forms of weight stigma and ways to address it. The OAC is a national member organization committed to supporting people with obesity through advocacy, education, and by reframing the conversations about weight and its impact on health.
Weight Bias in Health Care : A video created by the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at the University of Connecticut to increase awareness of bias and stigma toward plus-size patients and offer strategies to optimize care. The Rudd Center is a leading research and policy organization dedicated to promoting solutions to childhood obesity, poor diet, and weight bias.