The OGH facilitates international research and coordinates the HIV/AIDS portfolio at the NICHD. The office was established in 1998 as the Office of Prevention Research and International Programs (PRIP). In response to the rapid expansion of global health and prevention research, PRIP was restructured in 2008 to form two offices: OGH and the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
OGH seeks to improve overall health worldwide by providing leadership, coordination, and support for NICHD’s global heath mission and activities. The office, which resides in the NICHD Office of the Director, collaborates with the NICHD’s Centers, Divisions, and Offices and other NIH and DHHS entities in:
- Coordinating, advocating, identifying, and mobilizing policies, programs, resources, and opportunities in global health research and training;
- Building and maintaining global health partnerships and collaborations;
- Providing leadership in the development of cross-cutting policies, plans, and programs related to NICHD’s global health research; and
- Assisting the Institute’s components in enhancing their international research portfolios and other global health activities.
In implementing these activities, OGH works in partnership with multiple national and global health organizations, including the U.S. Department of State, embassies of foreign countries, foreign ministries of health, research organizations and universities in the United States and abroad, and representatives of international health and non-government organizations.
Some of the global activities that the OGH coordinates and directs include the following:
- Facilitating new and enhanced research opportunities and fostering partnerships to support NICHD’s global health research initiatives
- Providing consultation and assistance to NICHD staff in planning for and addressing issues related to international research and training projects
- Sponsoring workshops and conferences on global health issues related to the NICHD’s mission, such as the Lawton Chiles International Lecture on Maternal and Child Health in the Americas
- Collaborating on the Institute’s annual report on international activities through analyses of databases and documents, and verification and synthesis of information
- Coordinating and developing written responses to external requests for information and queries about global health issues and activities within the NICHD’s mission
- Managing the activities of the NICHD AIDS Coordinating Committee, including annual operational planning activities
- Soliciting, organizing, and developing materials for the NIH Office of AIDS Research solicitations
- Gathering information and preparing materials including presentations, briefing documents and portfolio analyses for use at domestic and international meetings
- Serving on the NIH International Representatives’ Committee
- Liaising with federal and non-federal agencies on global health issues
- Advocating for the role of evidence-based research in the design and implementation of global health programs
Visit the Funded Projects page for more information about the Office of Global Health's supported projects.
For more information, contact:
Office of Global Health (OGH)
NICHD, NIH, DHHS
6100 Executive Blvd., Room 2A01, MSC 7510
Bethesda, MD 20892-7510 USA
Phone +01 301-435-7565 (main office number)
Fax +01 301-435-0009