- NICHD Research Plan on Vulvodynia (PDF - 682 KB)
This plan, developed by the NICHD in collaboration with other NIH ICs, private organizations, and researchers, details an agenda for research needed to answer questions and fill knowledge gaps about vulvodynia.
- Vulvodynia: A Chronic Pain Condition-Setting a Research Agenda
The NICHD and the NIH Office of Research on Women's Health (ORWH) sponsored this meeting in July 2011 to explore promising research areas related to vulvodynia. This meeting was a key component in the process of developing the NIH Research Plan on Vulvodynia.
- Vulvodynia Pre-application Technical Assistance Webinar
This pre-application technical assistance webinar is for investigators interested in applying for vulvodynia-related research funding from the NIH.
- The NIH Pain Consortium
The Consortium works to promote pain research as well as collaboration among researchers across NIH institutes and centers that address pain.
- Vulvodynia Consensus Panel Statement
This 2006 paper describes the findings and recommendations of a vulvodynia consensus conference panel comprised of NIH researchers and other scientists.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee Opinion on Vulvodynia
This opinion, reaffirmed in 2008, provides information on the diagnosis and treatment of vulvodynia.
- Vulvodynia Guideline (PDF - 350 KB)
This literature review, explaining vulvar pain and treatments for it, was published in the Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease in 2005.
- Institute of Medicine (IOM) Chronic Pain Report
The 2011 IOM report on pain, Relieving Pain in America, offers a blueprint for improving pain-related care, education, prevention, and research in the United States.
- The International Society for the Study of Vulvovaginal Disease (ISSVD)
ISSVD promotes international communication among gynecologists and other health care providers to advance research and disseminate knowledge related to vulvovaginal disease.
- Vulvodynia: Integrating Current Knowledge into Clinical PracticeThis 2010 National Vulvodynia Foundation tutorial is designed for physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and nurses interested in the diagnosis and treatment of vulvodynia.
- Vulvodynia Diagnosis and Management
The American Academy of Family Physicians provides these clinical recommendations on diagnosis and treatment of vulvodynia.
Please note: Links to organizations and information included on these pages do not indicate endorsement from the NICHD, NIH, or HHS.