- The NICHD's National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research (NCMRR)
NCMRR supports research on many aspects of SCI, including mechanisms of injury and the effectiveness of different interventions and rehabilitation methods. The Center offers several publications and webpages that provide additional information about its research:
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
This national medical society represents more than 8,000 physicians who specialize in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- Association of Academic Physiatrists (AAP)
The AAP is an organization of faculty, researchers, and others interested in supporting academic physiatry. It is involved in a number of projects to support and enhance the academic discipline of physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) Facilities of Research Excellence on SCI
NINDS performs and promotes research on SCI through this and other activities.
- Spinal Cord Outcomes Partnership Endeavor (SCOPE)
SCOPE facilitates interaction and collaboration amongst clinicians, researchers, academic institutions, and other organizations interested in researching and treating SCIs and addressing patient/family issues.
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
This nonprofit organization supports research on SCIs and spinal cord diseases (SCDs) and funds multiple education and collaborative efforts with goals to understand, treat, and cure SCIs/SCDs.
- American Spinal Injury Association
The Association promotes the care of patients with SCIs, promotes the education of health care professionals and others interested in SCIs, supports research on SCIs, and facilitates communication and collaboration among researchers and others studying and treating SCIs.
- The U.S. Department of Education offers these resources on SCI:
- The Clearinghouse on Disability Information of the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services shares information about SCI research, breakthroughs, and issues.
- The National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research is one of three entities within the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services. The Institute supports an SCI Model Systems Program as well as model systems for brain injury and burns.
- Department of Defense SCI Research Program
This program focuses on finding and funding research on SCI.
- Defense Medical Research and Development Program
This Pentagon program performs research and development in the areas of blast injury, rehabilitation, and psychological health and wellness.
- Shriners Hospitals for Children
The Shriners Hospitals for Children system provides care and treatment for SCI at its many locations around the United States. In addition, certain locations specialize in care and treatment of pediatric SCI, including Shriners Hospital for Children — Philadelphia and the Shriners Hospital for Children — Chicago .
- Craig H. Neilsen Foundation
The Foundation supports SCI research and physician training to advance its mission of improving quality of life for those living with SCI and finding effective treatments.
- Craig H. Neilsen Foundation
Please note: Links to organizations and information included on this page do not indicate endorsement from the NICHD, NIH, or HHS.