Information About Neural Tube Defects Research
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Spina Bifida Program Overview. (PDF - 341 KB) This document summarizes the work of the CDC’s National Spina Bifida Program at the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities.
- Spina Bifida: Research. This webpage contains information about CDC research on spina bifida; links to abstracts for peer-reviewed publications; and other resources, such as data and statistics.
- Folic Acid: Research. This webpage contains information about CDC research on folic acid, including current guidelines, research, and links to abstracts for peer-reviewed publications.
- NIH, Office of Dietary Supplements: Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Folate. This webpage provides information on folate, including recommended dietary allowances and food sources.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force: Folic Acid to Prevent Neural Tube Defects This site contains links to the latest recommendations on use of folic acid.
- Medical Home Portal: Neural Tube Defects—Treatment & Management. This is a comprehensive guide to treating and managing spina bifida and includes links to many resources, including medical specialists, clinical trials, and substantial documentation.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG): ACOG Practice Recommendations for Neural Tube Defects [Abstract]. Provides recommendations for health care providers on prevention, screening, and in utero treatment of neural tube defects.
- The Spina Bifida Association . Provides resources for health care providers, patients, and their families. Among these resources are the following:
Please note: Links to organizations and information included on this page do not indicate endorsement from the NICHD, NIH, or HHS.