The NICHD’s research efforts related to cerebral palsy examine its underlying causes, its prevention and treatment, and rehabilitative approaches to improve the quality of life for those with the disorder.
Some NICHD research on cerebral palsy includes the following:
- Exploring causes and neurological mechanisms of fetal brain injury, including injury associated with cerebral palsy
- Examining maternal and intrauterine factors that could contribute to or reduce fetal brain injury and cerebral palsy
- Developing and evaluating the effectiveness of new drugs that prevent or treat fetal or neonatal brain injury as well as maternal infections
- Investigating and creating new technology to assist in the rehabilitation of individuals with cerebral palsy
- Studying interventions that improve the quality of life of people with cerebral palsy and their families