April 29, 2013, 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Office of Health Equity (OHE), Office of the Director (OD), NICHD
6100 Executive Boulevard, 5th Floor Conference Room, Rockville, Maryland
The Academic-Community Partnership (ACP) Conference Series is designed to bring together academic institutions and community organizations to identify opportunities for addressing health disparities through the use of Community-Based Participatory Research. Health disparities do not merely occur, they develop over time within the context of complex interactions among multiple factors (e.g., biological, behavioral, social, economic). In order to achieve health equity in maternal and child health outcomes it is imperative to engage diverse members of the community in all phases of the research process.
The purpose of this seminar is to provide an opportunity for ACP grantees to share lessons learned while building academic-community partnerships to reduce obesity disparities. At this seminar, grantees will highlight strategies for engaging communities in research, identifying community health priorities, and designing collaborative prevention and/or intervention programs to reduce health disparities.
Speakers for this seminar include:
- Jeffrey W. Cooper, M.B.A., M.S., President/Chief Executive Officer, United Cerebral Palsy of Central Pennsylvania
- Kristine Qureshi, DNSc, R.N., Associate Professor of Nursing, School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Vikki C. Lassiter, M.S., Executive Director, African American Collaborative Obesity Research Network
Panelists will include:
- Shiriki Kumanyika, Ph.D., M.P.H., Professor of Epidemiology and Associate Dean for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
- Mary E. Segal, Ph.D., Research Scientist, Center for Obesity Research and Education, Temple University School of Medicine
- Alice M. Tse, Ph.D., APRN, Associate Professor of Nursing, School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene, University of Hawaii at Manoa
For More Information
Dr. Della Brown White, OHE, OD, NICHD
Tel: (301) 435-2712