For more information about helping your child cope with crisis, or for other health-related information and resources, you can contact the following organizations.
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry —Offers fact sheets and informational materials about the mental health and behavior of children and teens. Visit the Academy’s Web site at http://www.aacap.org or call 202-966-7300 for more information.
- American Psychiatric Association —Offers informational materials and other resources for families about mental health topics through its Mental Health Resource Center. Visit the Association’s Web site at http://www.psych.org or call 703-907-7300 for more information.
- National Black Child Development Institute (NBCDI) —Offers informational materials and community-related resources for parents and families. Visit the NBCDI Web site at http://www.nbcdi.org or call 202-833-2220 for more information.
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) —Offers information and free materials for parents and families, as well as for health care professionals, about topics related to the health of children, adults, families, and communities. Visit the NICHD Web site at http://www.nichd.nih.gov or call 1-800-370-2943 for more information.
- National Institute Mental Health (NIMH) —Offers information and materials for parents, families, and health care professionals about mental health topics. Visit the NIMH Web site at http://www.nimh.nih.gov or call 1-866-615-NIMH (6464) for more information.
- National Medical Association (NMA) —Helps individuals locate African American physicians and other health care providers throughout the United States. Visit the NMA Web site at http://www.nmanet.org or call 1-888-662-7497 for more information.
The NICHD Information Resource Center provides additional copies of this booklet, of A Guide for African American Parents: Helping Children Cope with Crisis brochure, and other materials. To order free copies, contact us at: