Which sites were involved in the pilot testing phase?
The NICHD conducted a 10-site pilot test with more than 275 youth. This pilot phase was very valuable in developing and refining the Media-Smart Youth curriculum. The youth-serving organizations that participated in the pilot phase are (note: some organizations had more than one pilot site):
- Girl Scout Council of Greater Minneapolis, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Girl Scouts of Rolling Hills Council, North Branch, Rolling Hills, New Jersey
- Latin American Youth Center, Washington, D.C.
- Logan Square Neighborhood Association, Chicago, Illinois
- Spartanburg Terrace Tenants Association/Save the Children, Spartanburg, South Carolina
- Sports and Arts in Schools Foundation, Long Island City, New York
- YMCA of Westfield, Westfield, New Jersey
The youth and the adult facilitators and program directors for these sites provided weekly feedback as they used the Media-Smart Youth curriculum. Their input and advice helped to shape the curriculum during every phase of development.