What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids?
Uterine fibroids can cause uncomfortable or sometimes painful symptoms, such as:
- Heavy bleeding or painful periods
- Bleeding between periods
- Feeling “full” in the lower abdomen (belly)—this is sometimes called “pelvic pressure”
- Frequent urination (caused by a fibroid pressing on the bladder)
- Pain during sex
- Lower back pain
- Reproductive problems, such as infertility, multiple miscarriages, and early onset of labor during pregnancy
- Obstetrical problems, such as increased likelihood of cesarean section
Many women have no symptoms of fibroids.
Last Updated Date: 11/30/2012
Last Reviewed Date: 05/21/2013