The NICHD’s research goals for urinary tract health are part of its overall mission to advance affordable health and quality of life maintenance for men, women, and children. The research conducted and supported by the NICHD focuses on the diagnosis and prevention of urinary tract problems.
Specifically, the institute promotes research to advance understanding, focusing on the following areas:
- Examining factors that contribute to the development of UI, including labor and delivery
- Evaluating the impact of obesity on UTIs
- Managing UTIs in vulnerable populations, including pregnant women, individuals with disabilities or neurological conditions, and children with Turner syndrome
- Assessing new treatments for UI
- Evaluating prevention methods to maintain and improve urinary tract health