Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC): Research Goals
The goals of NICHD research on necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) include:
- Developing a better understanding of the causes of the disease.
- Finding ways to identify newborns at risk for developing NEC.
- Finding ways to prevent the development of NEC.
- Developing better treatments for the disease; for example, by comparing outcomes of various surgical techniques.
- Understanding the long-term effects of NEC in infants who survive the disease.
Last Updated Date: 11/30/2012
Last Reviewed Date: 11/30/2012