Research at the NICHD addresses issues affecting perimenopausal and postmenopausal women with the aim of maintaining and improving their quality of life. Many of these efforts are done in collaboration with the National Institute on Aging and other NIH Institutes and Centers.
Menopause research is supported through many Branches within the Division of Extramural Research and includes efforts such as:
- Programs to address the effects of perimenopausal and postmenopausal hormone therapy
- Support for the Pelvic Floor Disorders Network, a clinical trials network that has addressed a variety of topics in the field of urogynecology
- Clinical trials related to the treatment of menopausal symptoms
- Studies of ovarian aging, the impact of menopause on vaginal connective tissue support, and preventing unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections in midlife women
- Research to advance understanding of the changing hormone levels experienced through menopause and how they affect a woman's susceptibility to infectious disease, such as HIV, and the effectiveness of treatments to prevent infection