The NICHD’s Reading, Writing, and Related Learning Disabilities (RWRLD) Program and its Mathematics and Science Cognition and Learning: Development and Disorders (MSCL) Program promote prevention, early intervention, and remediation of learning disabilities and comorbid conditions.
NICHD research goals related to learning disabilities include:
- Understanding the possible environmental, genetic, neurobiological, and cognitive/behavioral causes
- Investigating the neurobiology of these disabilities using brain imaging
- Creating and validating measurement tools to identify children at risk
- Developing and evaluating prevention methods
- Developing and assessing remediation and instructional approaches that promote learning