- Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D
In this 2010 report, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) proposes new reference values that are based on much more information and on higher-quality studies than were available when the values for these nutrients were first set in 1997. The IOM found that the evidence supports a role for vitamin D and calcium in bone health, but not in other health conditions.
- Endocrinology, Nutrition, and Growth Branch Report to the NACHHD Council, June 2009
This scientific report outlines the research and research training supported by the Endocrinology, Nutrition, and Growth Branch as of June 2009. The branch portfolio includes research on endocrinological and nutritional influences on growth, body composition, puberty, skeletal accretion, and brain development, as well as prevention of chronic diseases.
- Lactose Intolerance: Information for Health Care Providers
This fact sheet for health care providers is part of the NICHD-sponsored Milk Matters calcium education campaign. The sheet describes the prevalence and symptoms of lactose intolerance and outlines strategies people can use to ensure they still get enough calcium despite the condition.
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) is a program of studies designed to assess the health and nutritional status of adults and children in the United States.
- NIH Consensus Development Conference: Lactose Intolerance and Health (February 2010)
The objective of this NICHD-sponsored conference was to provide health care providers, patients, and the general public with a responsible assessment of currently available data on lactose intolerance and health. Read the Evidence Report and Consensus Statement.
- American Gastroenterological Association
This website for the professional association of gastroenterologists provides research and resources on digestive diseases.
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
This website provides basic information about lactose intolerance as well as clinical research for health professionals.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
The NIDDK’s website provides basic information on lactose intolerance and offers resources for health professionals on digestive diseases.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation
The Foundation offers resources to health professionals on the BoneSource section of its website.
Please note: Links to organizations and information included on this page do not indicate endorsement from the NICHD, NIH, or HHS.