The NICHD aims to investigate the frequency and impact of epigenetic changes on human health and development across the life span. Specific areas of research focus include:
- The impact of epigenetic changes on gamete (egg and sperm cell) development.
- The impact of epigenetic changes on fertility.
- Epigenetic regulation of gene expression in the fetus.
- Epigenetic markers of exposure to stress, nutrition, chemicals, and other factors in the environment.
- How epigenetic factors contribute to developmental disorders, including rare disorders, genetically linked conditions, and intellectual disabilities.