SPPEB, within the Office of Science Policy, Analysis, and Communications (OSPAC), supports and advances the NICHD scientific mission by providing scientific policy support, program planning processes, and program evaluation. The Branch supports the NICHD Office of the Director (OD), works collaboratively with the Public Communications and the Referral and Program Analysis Branches of OSPAC, and supports other NICHD organizational components.
SPPEB leads and coordinates activities to support Institute leadership and staff in determining NICHD’s programmatic and scientific objectives and priorities. The Branch also collaborates with the NICHD OD offices, other Institutes and Centers, and trans-NIH and HHS committees.
SPPEB’s functions include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in and supporting the formation of scientific policies at the Institute, NIH, HHS and trans-agency levels
- Facilitating decision-making processes for funding opportunity announcements, conferences, and other activities
- Analyzing, evaluating, and reporting on the results of NICHD programs
- Coordinating strategic planning activities at the Institute, research, and program levels
- Preparing reports and responses to queries from multiple sources (e.g., NICHD OD, outside organizations, and Congress) for information on NICHD-supported research and achievements