Danping Liu, Ph.D.
June 8, 2015
Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Branch
Division of IntramuralPopulation Health Research
Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
National Institute of Health
6100 Executive Blvd. Room 7B07H
Bethesda, MD 20892-7510
||B.S. Statistics, Peking University.
||M.Phil. Statistics, University of Hong Kong.
||Ph.D. Biostatistics, University of Washington.
- Medical diagnostic testing and ROC curve
- Prediction modelling
- Longitudinal data analysis
- Missing data methodologies
- Nonparametric and semiparametric inferences
- Graduate Student Research Assistant, Departmentof Statistics, University of Hong Kong, 2003– 2005.
- Research Associate, Department of Statistics, University of Hong Kong, 2005–2006.
- Graduate Student Research Assistant, Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, 2006–2010.
- Post-doctoral Fellow, National Alzheimer's Coordinating Center, University of Washington, 2010–2012.
- Investigator, Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, 2012–Present.
Visiting Scholar, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, La Trobe University, May–June
Visiting Scholar, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Melbourne, August– September 2005.
- Visiting Scholar, School of Mathematics and Statistics,University of South Australia, February– April 2006.
Honors and Awards
Panasonic Scholarship, Peking University (2000)
Outstanding Student Award, Peking University (2000, 2001, 2002)
- Distinguished Volunteer Award in SARS disease control, Peking University (2003)
- Distinguished Graduate Student Award, Peking University (2003)
- Donovan J. Thompson Award, University of Washington (2007)
- Outstanding Student Award, University of Washington (2009)
American Statistical Association, 2008–Present.
Western North American Region (WNAR) of the International Biometric Society, 2010–2011.
Eastern North American Region (ENAR) of the International Biometric Society, 2012–present.
International Chinese Statistical Association (ICSA), 2013–Present.
- Associate editor, Statistics in Medicine.
Referee for: Academic Radiology (6), American Journal of Epidemiology (1), Biometrics (8), BMC Medical Research Methodology (3), Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology (2), Journal of the American Statistical Association (2), Science in China (2), Statistica Sinica (1), Statistics and Its Interface (1), Statistics in Biopharmaceutical Research (2), Statistics in Biosciences (1), Statistics in Medicine (14), The Journal of Rheumatology (3).
- Session chair on “Joint Models For Longitudinal and Survival Data”, ENAR Spring Meeting,
Orlando, FL, March 2013.
- Session organizer and chair on “Recent Developments in Biomarker Researchand Medical Diagnosis”, ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium, Bethesda, MD, June 2013.
Member, ICSA Student Paper Award Committee, June 2013.
- Session chair on “Statistical Methods for Microarray and Biomarker Data", ENAR Spring Meeting, Baltimore, MD, March 2014.
- Search committee for Staff Scientist at NICHD/DIPHR/EB, 2015
As Primary Mentor
- Kara Fulton, Postbaccalaureate Fellow, 2012-2013.
- Van Tran, Summer Student, 2013.
- Ashok Chaurasia, PostdoctoralFellow, 2013-2015.
- Jonathon O'Brien, Summer Student, 2014.
- Jared Foster, Postdoctoral Fellow, 2013-2015.
Refereed Research Articles
Statistical Methodology (*first author is a student or fellow)
- Liu, D., Yip, P. S. F., and Huggins R. M. (2007). A nonparametric method for estimating the size of an open population using marginal data from repeated multiple lists. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 49, 303-320.
- Yip, P. S. F., Watson, R., Chan, K. S., Lau, E., Chen, F., Xu, T., Xi, L., Cheung, D. Y. T., Ip, B. Y. T., and Liu, D. (2010). Estimation of the number of people in a demonstration.
Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 52, 17-26.
- Lin, H., Liu, D., and Zhou, X. H. (2010). A correlated random effects model for normal longitudinal data with nonignorable missingness. Statistics in Medicine, 29, 236-247.
- Liu, D. and Zhou, X. H. (2010). A model for adjusting for nonignorable verification bias in estimation of ROC curve and its area with likelihood-based approach. Biometrics, 66, 1119-1128.
- Liu, D. and Zhou, X. H. (2011). Semiparametric estimation of the covariate-specific ROC curve with ignorable missing gold standard. Biometrics, 67, 906-916.
- Liu, D. and Zhou, X. H. (2013). Covariate adjustment in estimating the area under ROC curve with partially missing gold standard. Biometrics, 69, 91-100.
- Liu, D. and Zhou, X. H. (2013). ROC analysis in biomarker combination with covariate adjustment. Academic Radiology, 20, 874-882.
- Liu, D. and Albert, P. S. (2014). Combination of longitudinal biomarkers in predicting binary events. Biostatistics, 15, 706-718.
- Fulton, K. A.*, Liu, D.+, Albert, P. S., and Haynie, D. L. (2015). Mixed model and estimating equation approaches for zero-inflation in clustered binary response data with application to a dating violence study. Annals of Applied Statistics, 9, 275-299. (+co-first authorship)
- Liu, D., and Zhou, X. H. (2015). Estimation of ROC curve with multiple types of missing gold standard. Applied Statistics in Biomedicine and Clinical Trials Design, 75-87.
- Tran, V.*, Liu, D., Pradhan, A. K., Li, K., Bingham, C. R., Simons-Morton, B. G. and Albert, P. S. (2015). Assessing risk-taking in a driving simulator study: modeling longitudinal semi-
continuous driving data using a two part regression model with correlated random effects. Analytic Methods in Accident Research, 5, 17-27.
- Foster, J. C.*, Liu, D., Albert, P. S., and Liu, A. (2015+). Identifying subgroups of en- hanced predictive accuracy from longitudinal biomarker data using tree-based approaches: applications to monitoring fetal growth. Submitted.
- Chaurasia, A.*, Liu, D., Albert, P. S. (2015+). Linear mixed model with unobserved infor- mative cluster size: application to a repeated pregnancy study. Submitted.
Collaboration in Health Sciences
- Monsell, S. E., Liu, D., Weintraub, S., and Kukull, W. A. (2012). Comparing measures of decline to dementia in amnestic MCI subjects in the National Alzheimer's Coordinating Center (NACC) Uniform Data Set. International Psychogeriatrics, 24, 1553-1560.
- Quick, V., Nansel, T. R., Liu, D., Lipsky, L. M., Due, P., and Iannotti, R. J. (2014). Body size perception and weight control in youth: 9-year international trends from 24 countries. International Journal of Obesity, 38, 988-994.
- Männistö, T., Mendola,P., Liu, D., Leishear, K., Sherman, S., and Laughon, S. K. (2014+). Acute airpollution exposure and blood pressure at labor/delivery admission among women with and withouthypertension. American Journal of Hypertension, 28, 58-72.
- Robledo, C. A., Mendola, P., Yeung, E., Männistö, T., Sundaram, R., Liu, D., Ying, Q., Sherman, S., Lipsky, L., and Laughon, S. K. (2015). Preconception air pollution exposures and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Environmental Research, 137 316-322.
- Männistö, T., Mendola, P., Liu, D., Leishear, K., Ying, Q., and Sundaram, R. (2015). Temporal variation in the acute effects of air pollution on blood pressure measured at admission to labor/delivery. Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, 8 13-28.
- Wallace, M. E., Mendola, P., Liu, D., and Grantz, K. L. (2015). The joint effects of structural racism and income inequality on small for gestational age birth. American Journal of Public Health, In press.
- Männistö, T., Mendola, P., Grantz, K. L., Leishear, K., Sundaram, R., Sherman, S., Ying, Q., Schisterman, E. F., and Liu, D. (2015). Acute and recent air pollution exposure and cardiovascular events at labor and delivery. Heart, in press.
- Zhu, Y., Zhang, C., Liu, D., Grantz, K. L., Wallace, M., and Mendola, P. (2015+). Maternal ambient air pollution exposure preconception and during early gestation and offspring congenital orofacial defects. Environmental Research, in press.
- Brooks-Russell, A., Conway, K. P., Liu, D., Xie, Y., Vullob, G. C., Li, K., Iannotti, R. J., Compton, W., and Simons-Morton, B. G. (2015+). Dynamic patterns of adolescent substance use: results from a nationally representative sample of high school students. Under revision for Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs.
- Mendola, P., Männistö, T., Liu, D., Sundaram, R., Leishear K., Robledo, C., Wallace, M., Sherman, S., Ying, Q., Sun, L., and Grantz, K. L. (2015+). Air pollution and women with asthma - acute exposure in the days prior to delivery and preterm birth risk. Submitted.
- Mendola, P., Wallace, M., Hwang, B. S., Liu, D., Robledo, C., Männistö, T., Sundaram, R., Sherman, S., Ying, Q., and Grantz, K. L. (2015+). Preterm birth and air pollution: Critical windows of exposure for women with and without asthma. Submitted.
- Simons-Morton, B. G., Haynie, D. L., Liu, D., Chaurasia, A., Li, K., and Hingson, H. (2015+). The effect of residential, school, work status and social influence on the prevalence of alcohol use among emerging adults. Submitted.
- Lipsky, L. M., Haynie, D. L., Liu, D., Chaurasia, A., Gee, B., Li, K., Iannotti, R. J., and Simons-Morton, B. G. (2015+). Trajectories of eating behaviors in a nationally representative cohort of U.S. adolescents during the transition to adulthood. Submitted.
- Wallace, M., Mendola, P., Liu, D., Zhu, Y., Kim, S. S., and Grantz, K. L. (2015+). Exposure to ozone and premature rupture of membranes at term and preterm. Submitted.
- Li, K., Liu, D., Haynie, D. L., Gee, B., Chaurasia, A., Seo, D. C., Iannotti, R. J., and Simons- Morton, B. G. (2015+). Environmental-status influences on the transitions in physical activity among emerging adults. Submitted.
Books and Book Chapters
- Zhou, X. H., Zhou, C., Liu, D., and Ding, X. (2014). Applied Missing Data Analysis in the Health Sciences. Wiley, New Jersey.
WNAR Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, June 2010.
Department of Biostatistics, Indiana University at Indianapolis, January 2012.
Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institute of Health, January 2012.
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of South Carolina, February 2012.
School of Public Health, University of Memphis, February 2012.
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, State University of New York at Albany, March 2012.
- School of Nursing, University of Michigan, March 2012.
- ENAR Spring Meeting, Washington DC, April 2012.
- ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium, Bethesda, MD, June 2013.
- Department of Statistics, George Mason University, October 2013.
Survival, Longitudinal And Multivariate Data Working Group, Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins University, November 2013.
- Sibling Analysis Workshop, School of Public Health, Harvard University, April 2014.
- ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium, Portland, OR, June 2014.
- ENAR Spring Meeting, Miami, FL, March 2015.
8th Annual FDA/MTLI Medical Devices and Diagnostics Statistical Issues Workshop, Arlington, VA, April 20.
- The 25th European Meeting of Statisticians, Oslo, Norway, July 2005.
- Joint Statistical Meetings, Denver, CO, August 2008.
- Joint Statistical Meetings,Washington DC, August 2009.
- WNAR Annual Meeting, Seattle,WA, June 2010.
- Joint Statistical Meetings,Vancouver, Canada, August 2010.
- ENAR Spring Meeting, Orlando, FL, March 2013.
- ENAR Spring Meeting, Baltimore, MD, March 2014.