November 18-19, 2009
Obstetric and Pediatric Pharmacology (OPP) Branch, Center for Research on Mothers and Children (CRMC), NICHD; Office of the Director, NICHD
Natcher Auditorium, NIH Main Campus
Purpose: Participants at this information-sharing conference will explore and discuss various approaches to establishing priorities for using resources in research investment. Agencies need to develop systematic approaches to allocating available resources and infrastructure that account for factors such as public health need, scientific opportunity, available infrastructure, technical feasibility, project resource footprints, potential impacts, cultural willingness, investigator interest, availability of appropriate and informative populations, regulatory programs, and funding and economic incentives. This two-day meeting will focus on methods and approaches to populations of interest, whether they are defined by geographic region, age, condition, or other factors. A discussion of the Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act initiative and activities will also be part of this workshop.
The first day of the conference will include presentations from regulatory authorities, foundations and non-government organizations, private-sector firms and public-sector agencies. Each presentation will outline a particular perspective on criteria used to set priorities. The second day of the conference will be devoted to breakout discussions on selected topics. Some of the key topics speakers will discuss are:
- Clarification of goals;
- Criteria used to set priorities;
- Types of constraints;
- Partnership options for reaching goals; and
- Determining when a particular product or project is no longer a priority.
Those interested can participate in one of two ways:
- In-Person Participation—The NICHD is unable to fund transportation or lodging. General information regarding transportation and lodging options is available at: http://www.nih.gov/about/visitor/index.htm.
- Remote Participation—Participation in the meeting will be available through NIH Videocastingand Podcasting. Please review the instructions at www.videocast.nih.gov and test the software and connection in advance using the “Test Computer” function.
There is no charge to participate. Advance registration is now closed. Those interested in participating can register at the meeting site (Natcher Conference Center, NIH Main Campus) on the morning of November 18, 2009, or can join the conference remotely (see instructions above). Day 1 Agenda (PDF - 65 KB), Day 2 Agenda (PDF - 35 KB).
Steven Hirschfeld, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Director for Clinical Research, Office of the Director, NICHD
Phone: (301) 496- 3454